Wednesday, March 19, 2014

BAHA Attract System - A new way to hear

When Braydon was 4 I remember the moment I learned that he would never have normal hearing again. I just sat there staring blankly at the surgeon who had humbly sat down next to me. He told me and my husband that the cholesteatoma had spread out like a spider web. When it did this it had eroded 2 of the 3 hearing bones (ossicles) necessary for hearing. This was the good ear. All I could think was ... but this is the good ear! What hope did that leave for the 'bad' ear?

As I was in free-fall from the news I became determined to learn all I could to help my son hear. I watched an informative video about the BAHA. This is a Bone Anchored Hearing Aid. The great thing was the lady on the video talked about the hope. The worst thing I ever did was watch that video. The video was in the OR and actually showed the process necessary for implantation. This, I assure you, is something no parent should ever watch. I vowed that day that we would find another way.

We tried hearing aids. The purpose of the hearing aid is to amplify the sound to the bones. The problem is that my son only had 1 of the 3 necessary bones in both ears. The molds also left his diseased ears infected. While this is not a common issue for children with hearing loss, this was our experience because of chronic ear disease.

We finally began a new look at the BAHA system. A Bone Anchored Hearing Aid is just that a hearing aid that is anchored to the skull. This device is helpful for kids with a conductive hearing loss. The processor transmits the sound waves through the bone that then sends them to the healthy cochlea. From there the sound waves travel along the normal path to the brain. At this time 2011 our only option was the traditional implant. There would be an anchor implanted 4 millimeters into his skull with an abutment that would penetrate the skin. The BAHA processor would then clip onto the abutment. Braydon was 8 and assured me that this was not an option for him.

Defeated but determined we started looking again. I kept telling everyone who was 'in the know' that Cochlear had to be coming out with magnetic technology. They had the magnet in the Cochlear implant and they had the bone anchored portion in the BAHA. Audiologist's and surgeons alike were telling me it was coming. I was so excited when beta testing began in 2013. I checked all the findings over and over. Everything was coming out beautifully. In anticipation of the FDA approval I began the petitioning process with my insurance company in August 2013. Braydon finally received his BAHA's in January 2014. Until he could get the implant he wore them on a headband.

I have to say that while I was frustrated at the amount of time it took to get my son the hearing devices necessary for him, the wait was worth it. We ended up getting the newest version. This version offers Bluetooth capabilities. Many wonder what that means for a 10 year old. It means that he can hear the phone conversations with his friends and family. It means he can stream music from his Ipod. It also means that he can stream his FM system in class!

Everyone is wondering how I went from 'That will never be us' to excitement. I think the answer lies somewhere in my ability to finally accept my son's true condition. Yes it clearly took me years. However, I think that every parent of a hearing impaired child likes to believe that a miracle will happen and hearing will magically be restored. Unfortunately, that was not our families reality.

I am proud to announce that in February of 2014 Braydon became the first person in Indiana to be implanted with the new magnetic version of the BAHA. This version is called the BAHA Attract System. There are approximately 100 people in the USA that have this implant. I was so nervous leading up to the surgery but my 10 year old was brave and he assured me that we were making the best decision for him.

I believe that it is important to bring our children in on decision making when possible. They are the ones that have to wear the devices, endure and recover from the surgeries and ultimately live with the decisions made. Braydon knew from day one that the possible skin overgrowth and infections was not something he was willing to deal with from the traditional BAHA abutment. However, the magnet was something that excited him. It took away his concerns.

The surgery went splendidly. The predicted amount of time was spot on. The after care was very well described by our surgeon. A C shaped incision was made behind Braydon's ear. The C faces away from his face. An anchor was implanted 4 millimeters into the skull. This takes approximately 30 days to fuse with the skill. This gives the implant added strength. Then a magnet was attached to the anchor and the incision was closed.

The first week was a bit rough. The swelling was painful and controlled with hydrocodone. The bruising was quite minimal. Around the 2nd week Braydon was feeling quite a bit better. He was weaning off the pain medication and feeling much better. Our follow up appointment was great. He is scheduled to have his implant activated on March 26, 2014. They allow 30 days for everything to heal completely.

I look forward to updating everyone after activation on March 26th. We have booked a Disney vacation to celebrate the freedom of hearing right after activation. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. If this is something that you feel will benefit your child I would recommend contacting my son's surgeon at Riley Children's Hospital. Dr. Charles Yates. He is currently the only doctor that I am aware of performing the surgery.

Many Blessings,
Braydon's Mom
 

 Braydon 1 week post op
Braydon 3 weeks post op

No comments:

Post a Comment